Wednesday, January 6, 2010

The Noughties

"Even Everton fans....?," I asked.

"Yes even Everton fans were celebrating, everyone in the city," he said to me.


Before I completed my question,
Alan already knew what I'm trying to say.



Photobucket
Mr. Alan Molyneux,
the Everton fans.





Photobucket
JT a.k.a. Dark Shadow,
the Liverpool fans.




From Millennium 2000 to the end of 2009,
Liverpool FC brought me 10years of fantastic memories.

The fact is, Liverpool still failed to get the Premier League title,
20years of league-drought waiting....
it didnt happen.

Steven Gerrard once said he would rather give up every trophies, medals, personal achievements and club records to swap one single Premier League title.

I doubt that,
did he really mean it?

No he is not,
ofcourse he is not,
trust me.

No people in the world can do that.
Not after what Liverpool had achieve in these 10years.

Let put yourself into a Liverpool supporter's position,

Photobucket
Would you give up the 2001 Treble?


Photobucket
Would you give up "Gerrard's beauty" (quoted by commentator Andy Gray) against Olympiakos?


Photobucket
Would you give up Istanbul?


Photobucket
Would you give up "Stevie G's FA Cup Final"?


No....not a chance!!!
It is impossible to ask one Liverpool supporter to give up all these memories....
that's too much to ask....

Swap for a single Premier League title?
That's not gonna happen.

If it is,
that would be the greatest robbery of history.

It was an incredible decade to support Liverpool,
the Noughties was not a good decade in which to be a Liverpool fan,
but it was a great one.

~One Night In Istanbul~
That wasn't a once in a lifetime event,
it was a once in football history fairytale that will probably never be repeated.

My favourite lecturer Mr.Alan said to us,
when Liverpool was crowned as the King of Europe that night,
everyone in the city is crazy,
they leave everything behind and just rush out of their house!!!

They were dancing and singing on the streets,
chants and song can be heard everywhere,
they hugged with the strangers (or flagpole) and celebrate until dawn.

It was a cheerful moment.

"Even Everton fans....?," I asked.
"Yes even Everton fans were celebrating, everyone in the city," he said to me.

Before I completed my question,
Alan already knew what I'm trying to say.

Liverpool may not have been the most successful club of the decade but it has undoubtedly been the most magical.

Liverpool supporter have seen things that no one else will ever see,
and these are the things that will live with you forever.

You can ask a Manchester United fans how he felt when MU won the Champions League back in 2008,
then you ask a Liverpool fans how he felt when Gerrard lifted the trophy in Istanbul.

In their eye,
you will see the different,
how they describe their feeling,
the word,
the facial expression,
it is different.

I saw that in Alan's eye,
even he is an Everton fans.

As for me myself, I feelike I was in Istanbul that night,
it was simply incredible,
it's awesome!

Ofcourse,
Manchester United fans, Arsenal fans and Chelsea fans might claim that the Kop will never understand the feeling of lifting a Premier League title.

But for me it doesnt really matter,
I like Liverpool as the way they are,
no people can shake our faith.

Liverpool shows their character as a Comeback King of Noughties,
they never give up,
they keep on fighting,
they still walk on.


Quoted from the movie 'Transformers',

Megatron said to Optimus,
"You still fight for the weak! That's why you lose!"

It remind me of Gerrard and his fellows,
sometime it doesnt really matter if you are fighting for the weaker side,
it makes you greater actually.

p/s: Don't be like Owen!

Yes I admit, during this Noughties, Liverpool was a weaker side.
But we have found Gerrard.

Gerrard is a pure Scouse, that makes him even more lovable.
There is an unexplained and undescribed relationship between him and the club.
People just love him.

This is what Chelsea and Manchester United fans will never understand.
Because every year they got new blood and new star coming,
after Cantona they got Beckham,
after Beckham they got Ronaldo,
after Ronaldo they got Valencia (or Owen?).

You seldom heard a Manchester United fans said he miss Beckham, or he miss Cantona.
Because they have new toys every season.
They can change the favourite player they want to worship as how they wish.

But Gerrard?
No way.
Gerrard is simply a Liverpool legend, he only belong to Liverpool.

Ofcourse, no people can ensure that he will finish his football career in Anfield,
but we all knew how much he meant for Liverpool.

I think it is just fair enough to say that 'Gerrard only belong to Liverpool'.

Back to the Noughties,
Liverpool end the decade with a 1-0 away win at Villa Park,
some might claim that they were lucky,
but for me that was a compensate for what they have been gone thru this season,
that's not too much to ask seriously,
Aston Villa is just a sad victim.

Who shall be include in Liverpool Dream Team of Noughties?
Let's look at the record shall we?

Liverpool top 10 appearances during 2000s (all competitions)

Carragher - 511
Gerrard - 477
Hyypia - 441
Riise - 348
Hamann - 272
Reina - 232
Heskey - 223
Finnan - 217
Murphy - 215
Alonso - 210

Liverpool's goalscorers in the 2000s (all competitions)

Gerrard - 124
Owen - 103 (let's forget about his current employer)
Torres - 62
Heskey - 60
Kuyt - 46
Crouch - 42
Murphy - 39
Fowler - 33
Hyypia - 33
Riise - 31

Liverpool FC poll result shows the following Dream Team

Photobucket

Personally I think the Dream Team is cool.
But I admit, Michael Owen's contribution is better than Robbie Fowler in the Noughties,
Fowler was great back in 90s but Owen just pissed off the Kop and I am not surprise to see this happen. (in fact Owen dont even give a damn right?)

Patrick Berger and Luis Garcia indeed brought us some memorable moment,
but I think overall Dietmar Hamann and Danny Murphy are greater as they spend most of their career's golden age in Anfield.

Other than that,
this is very convincing.

Liverpool is a place of miracle,
it allows people to dream.

I love Liverpool football club,
I love the city.

The city makes me love the football club even more,
vice versa.

I am proud to be a Liverpool fans,
I am the Kop,
and I shall keep in faith,
untill the day when the title come home.

I LOVE LIVERPOOL!!!

my name is JT a.k.a. Dark Shadow,

good night, and good luck.

2 comments:

  1. Hey.. nice to know u, in fact i was a LJM graduates as well, ur senior at year 2008. It is nice reading all your posts, it recalls all the good memories over there.. I am a Kopites as well, long before I was there completing my Degree, you know what.. Liverpool was the very main reason i choose Ktar.... Actually, Owen was the 1 who attracted my sight at first and I was so in love with liverpool becuz of him.. i was even thinking of him coming back where he used to be after he left Newcastle, too bad he joined our biggest rival and good luck for him as a bench warmer over there.. Hopefully we can end this draught soooooooonnn. We waited and we will definitely wait forever.. I will follow ur updates here... Again.. really nice reading your blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice to know you too, glad you drop by,
    I never realize i can know new friends here by writing blog.
    Anyway,ofcourse I will write more about Liverpool,3months sounds short but actualy quite a length, I definitely can write stories about Liverpool for the rest of my life, either the city or the Kop!

    ReplyDelete